Guarded by towering Monterey pines, Ballycommane archaeological site is located on a low ridge overlooking Ballycommane river (also called Four Mile Water). Dating back to the Middle Bronze Age (c1400-1200 BC), it consists of a boulder-burial and a pair of standing stones. Millennia ago, this was a site of great importance. The megalithic monument was most certainly used as a ritual place and for astronomical observations that allowed the development of a calendar, based on the solar and lunar cycles.
Excavated under leadership of Professor Billy O’Brien from University College Cork (UCC) in 1989, it is a well-documented site. The monument is open to the public and can be visited during the opening hours of the garden. A path leads past the remaining gable of an old turf house up to the monument. Detailed information on this boulder-burial and related Bronze-age monuments in Cork and Kerry is displayed in the Old Piggery, a carefully restored traditional stone building near the site. Two excavation reports including a site plan can be found here: Mega-What.com and excavations.ie
Sunrise observed at the Ballycommane boulder-burial on 21 June (summer solstice) at 5:48 a.m.